[PLUG] Keyboard strangeness (SOLVED)

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 01:54:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM, chris (fool) mccraw <gently at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > what happens in a different window manager, or no window manager? (do
> > something like put a lonely "xterm" in your ~/.xinitrc or
> > ~/.xsession).  what happens when running as another user?
>
> Ah! good idea.  Gnome and KDE both do some "weird" things with
> keyboard configs, and could conceivably trigger bugs somewhere else in
> the pipeline.  (eg: you can usually swap caps-lock and ctrl keys, I
> believe there is also an option to swap it with shift, in gnome at
> least.)  It's probably worth digging through the keyboard
> configuration for your desktop manager.
>
> --Rogan

Huzzah I found it.
It was in the Compiz settings, under one of the special sections, the "draw
fire on screen" section, for some strange reason I bound the "clear screen"
option to shift-C (yes it works now!) instead of a dual-meta control combo
like usual (like control-shift-C).  I fixed it and now everything is hunky
dory.
Thanks for the ideas guys.
I figured it was some boneheaded thing I tinkered with just wasn't sure
what.

Now it's off to the surgery room, I just got some new hardware to upgrade
(more on that later, hopefully it all goes well).
I've done this before, upgraded the hw without reinstalling the OS's, and of
course Linux faired better than Winders, but they both got through it OK.
Last time it was an Athlon XP 32bit 2200, to my current Athlon 64 3200.
Both motherboards were Gigabyte, with VIA chipsets.
Now I'm going to Athlon 64x2 5200, Gigabyte mobo with AMD chipset.  They
were also all accompanied by video card upgrades (NVidia 4400something to
6600GT, and now an 8800GT).

I can C the light now.
Oh say can you C.
C what you've done?
C:\>DOS.  C:\>DOS RUN... RUN DOS RUN....     <BSOD>
I can C clearly now the rain is gone...

OK I'm done ;)