[PLUG] kubuntu 8.04 setup problem(s)

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Sat Jun 21 09:23:03 UTC 2008

Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After my failed attempt to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 (very long, sad story), I
>>> have (with a lot of help from Keith) installed 8.04.  Now I am trying to set
>>> things up back to where they were before leaving 7.04.
>>>
>>> First: web links in Thunderbird do not launch Firefox.  I fixed this by
>>> installing the "Support for Gnome in Mozilla Thunderbird".  I did this because I
>>> saw another user had and solved this problem doing so.  But there are about 20
>>> modules associated with "Support for Gnome...", and I thought the K in Kubuntu
>>> stood for KDE.  Anybody really know what the issue is?
>>>
>>> Second:  Changes (at least some of them) I make to System Settings (a GUI in
>>> KDE) seem not to have any effect. (Yes, I did restart X.  Also rebooted.)  I
>>> have changed the double mouse click value out to 1.5 seconds, and I still have
>>> trouble getting a doubleclick to launch a new window in Thunderbird.  It works,
>>> but I have to put in effort to get my finger to click fast enough.  I have
>>> googled for this problem, but have come up dry.  Ideas?  I remember a couple of
>>> years ago finding that System Settings did not save the power saving settings.
>>> This is a similar problem.  Where is the basic data stored?
>>>
>>> Third:  Not sure yet, but based upon recent history, there will be a third.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>>
>>> -Denis
>> More--found kcmshell gets to the individual modules system settings uses.
>> kcmshell mouse opens the same dialog I get with system settings.  I tried kdesu
>> kcmshell mouse, still it does not seem to change anything.  But I did notice
>> that the values of the settings displayed appeared different than those
>> displayed using system settings.  So I am about to try restarting to see if
>> changes take effect then.
>>
>> -Denis
>
> No dice.  I changed the number of lines a wheel click moves to 9, but it still
> moves 3.  This is dumb.  Why have a module which the system ignores?
>
> -Denis

New information. Error message. Does it contain a clue that someone here can
decipher?

parents at r2d3:~$ kdesu kcmshell mouse
passprompt

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket

kbuildsycoca running...

The module launched, and showed the changes I had entered, but no changes in
behavior.

-Denis