[PLUG] Kubuntu 8.04 sound

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Thu Jun 26 08:17:20 UTC 2008

Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> Well, about help on sound? Amarok reports "xine was unable to initialize any
>> drivers". I have ALSA listed as the Audio Device.

Apparently the info I reported in my previous message was of no value.

The present situation is that I installed Audacity and was able to get it
functioning in both playing and recording modes.  Wonderful.  But the Amarok
message reported above still persists.  A web search turned up the idea that it
is a rights issue.  If I launch Amarok as su, the message does not appear.
BUT--it still does not produce sound.  It appears to play songs, but silently.
And visiting sites such as YouTube produces no sound either.

What additional information would be helpful in getting these silent players
their voice?

-Denis