[PLUG] problem with viewvc and apache configuration

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sat Mar 1 23:01:48 UTC 2008

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use viewvc to view a subversion repository, and I seem
>> to be having an apache configuration issue.  Whenever I try to
>> access viewvc over my network, I get a 403 Forbidden error.  When I
>> navigate to the same location locally, it works.  I can get to the
>> web server home page over the network, so I don't think this is a
>> firewall problem.  Note that local and remote accesses via
>> viewvc-static are working.
>>
>> Here's the contents of /etc/httpd/conf.d/viewvc.conf
>>
>> Alias /viewvc
>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/viewvc/bin/mod_python/viewvc.py
>> Alias /viewvc-static /usr/share/viewvc/templates/docroot
>>
>> <Directory /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/viewvc/bin/mod_python>
>>     AddHandler python-program .py
>>     PythonHandler handler
>>     PythonPath
>> "sys.path+['/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/viewvc/bin/mod_pyth\on']"
>>     Order allow,deny
>> #    Allow from 127.0.0.1
>> #    Allow from 168.192.1
>>     Allow from all
>> </Directory>
>>

>> This is a CentOS 5.1 system with subversion-1.4.2-2.el5,
>> viewvc-1.0.4-1.el5, and httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3.
>>
>> Any ideas on tracking this down would be welcome.
>
> What does your error.log say? Have you tried bumping the LogLevel up
> to something more verbose?
>
> Alternatively, you could stop httpd and run it in debug mode (maybe
> with strace, just for grins):
>
>    /sbin/service httpd stop
>    strace -o /tmp/httpd.trace httpd -X -e debug -k start
>
> Then try access viewvc from across the network. I suspect something
> will show up...

Thanks for the suggestions.  It's working now.  I discovered two
issues.  1) Apache configuration changes are much more effective if
you remember to tell the daemon to reload.  2) It helps to not
transpose IP addresses(It's 192.168, not 168.192.  That's twice I've
been burned by this.  Ah, the joys of growing older.)

galen