[PLUG] Lost Boot sector and partition table

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Sun Mar 2 18:25:01 UTC 2008

Hello Bill,

> I have a disk in which the boot sector (including the primary partition
> table) was overwritten.
> All partitions are ext2 and ext3.
> Does anyone know of any software that can possibly reconstruct the primary
> partition table?

Two tools which do exactly this under Linux are TestDisk and gpart (not
to be confused with gparted).  TestDisk provides an ncurses front end of
sorts while gpart is command line driven.  Be sure to read the man pages
on them, as they may not do what you need with default options.

For anyone with disk/partition/filesystem woes, I recommend visiting
opensourceforensics.org.  There's quite a good inventory of open source
recovery tools there.

good luck,
tim