[PLUG] MBR in (fake)RAID mirrored disks

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Mar 3 19:41:52 UTC 2008

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>>> The failing drive the the primary of the pair and it seems the mirrored
>>> drive doesn't have the MBR written. This seems brain dead.
>>>
>>> Is this something that "happens"?
>> Yes, this is actually common and in a way, it makes sense.
>>
>> You see you are mirroring partitions here, not disks.
>
> It seems that all the responses so far assume I implemented RAID with
> Linux's software.  Instead I used the (MSI motherboard) hardware RAID for
> the SATA drives.  Which, I thought, mirrored physical devices, not logical
> segments.
>
> Not true?

I would have thought so too.  Regardless of that, I bet this is fake
RAID.  Did you intentionally choose to go this route?  In most cases
you are better off using the md driver.  For example, with a fake RAID
system, if the motherboard dies you may have difficultly when moving
the disks to another system.  The disk data is typically stored in a
vendor-dependent format.

Of course I'm probably telling you stuff you already know.

galen