[PLUG] Voice Recording applications

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Mar 4 00:26:16 UTC 2008

Robert, Richard thanks.

Robert Kopp wrote:

> "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote: Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> I'm putting an Asterisk box together and really want to make my own
>> messages for the menu system (IVR) but I can't find an easy to use
>> application to record them on my Linux box; and in fact I can't get the
>> one I'm trying (arecord) to work.
>
> <...>
>
>> Any suggestions for software, applet, application?
>
> I've successfully recorded with gramofile on Linux, although I have not
> tried it with a microphone. gramofile is a command line tool using ncurses.
>
> Audacity should also work, if you are willing to live with a GUI.
>
> I've never had any issues with it. It seems that most popular distros install it easily.

Gramofile isn't available via any of the repositories I have set up,
including rpmforge, and it is a little long in the tooth -- 2001 was the
last update.  :-)

But Audacity works like a charm.  A better quality headset or mic would
help but so far it works.  Two messages down and ??? to go.

Jason, thanks for the suggestion.  I'd been down the alsamixer trail and
must have got the settings right.

Rod