[PLUG] setting bit rate

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 04:30:47 UTC 2008

Russell Senior wrote:

> Note that the bit-rate is usually adaptive.  That is, an algorithm
> tries to pick the rate that maximized throughput when packet loss is
> taken into consideration.  If there is noise, or if you aren't right
> near the access point, it ought not be surprising to have a rate less
> than 54M.

Russell,

Here is the output of iwconfig:

robin at moose:~$ iwconfig eth1
eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"KP4983"  Nickname:"Broadcom 4311"
         Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.437 GHz  Access Point:
00:15:E9:69:36:FF           Bit Rate=24 Mb/s   Tx-Power=18 dBm
RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Link Quality=88/100  Signal level=-46 dBm  Noise level=-69 dBm

Noise level seems to be a bit higher than the signal level...do I read
that right?