[PLUG] Lost Boot sector and partition table -- Resolved

William A Morita wamorita at hevanet.com
Tue Mar 4 15:47:59 UTC 2008

Well gang,

I recovered the data.
gpart works fine for primary partitions.  It recovered my boot and /
partitions.
gpart is clueless with respect to extended/logical partitions, even through
it detects them.

After recovering partitions 1-3, I used testdisk.
First I went to my trusty Knoppix 5.1.1 -- but wait, testdisk is missing a
NTFS library that apt-get can't seem to find.
After some searching, I down loaded gparted-LiveCD which contains both gpart
and testdisk.
testdisk ran fine from this live CD.  testdisk is a great program!
After several reworking attempts I finally hit upon the options and
selections needed to recover all three of my logical partitions.
The text GUI is nice.  It even lets you see the directories on your proposed
partitions.
This will be my "goto" application for partition recovery from now on.

I have also resolved, that if I have the time to zero out disks that I am
repartitioning so as to make recovery easier.  I was amazed at how many old
partitioning it detected.

- Bill Morita
wamorita at hevanet.com