[PLUG] Colo Advice

Brent Jones brent at servuhome.net
Fri Mar 7 00:36:04 UTC 2008

On 3/6/08, Sean Whitney <sean.whitney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this has been asked before....
>
> I am in need of a local (pdx) colo space for a 2U server.
>
> I will probably need 5 or so IPs and I'm very price conscious.
>
> Where should I look and who should I avoid?
>

> Sean

If you need real local, there is Primarytarget.com
They are primarily a dedicated server company, hosting game servers for a
variety of games, and even game servers for EA, and other big massive online
games.
They also do co-location in several cities, their Portland location being
inside the Pittock building here in downtown PDX.
If you're familiar with the Pittock building, then you know all of its
benefits as a major telco hub.
About 20 providers are in this building, and they all peer on GigE, and
10-GigE switches in a Meet-Me room.
The building has redundant power feeds, redundant diesel generators which
are tested monthly, and the building has four entry points for its Fiber
loops.

I also work in this building (not for Primarytarget).
I have used Primarytarget in the past, though. Recently I moved my server
onto my internal network in this building.
One of the resellers of bandwidth in this building in SilverStar Telecom.
They sell BGP peered bandwidth that meshes with the rest of the providers in
this building. No need to mix your own BGP.
I routinely saw sub 10ms pings to much of the west coast, and below 60ms to
the rest of the country. High data throughput was also much enjoyed by me
:)

There are other co-lo providers in the Pittock:
www.pdx.net
www.dsl-only.net
www.lsnetworks.net

You may also be able to get your own cage, or quarter rack from the building
management, and mix your own bandwidth.

Hope this doesnt sound like a sales pitch, but this is one of the better
buildings in Portland, the other being Inflow/Sungard, or ATT (both of those
are hard to get private equipment into)

Regards,

--
Brent Jones