[PLUG] Adding a startup script in SuSE

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Mar 7 17:25:38 UTC 2008

Last week I learned that in Slackware rc.local is where one puts
something one wants to run when the system is booted. This week, I'm
trying to locate that in SuSE.

There is a link in /etc called rc.d that points to init.d. Inside init.d
there are numerous directories and files. There is boot.d, rc0.d through
rc6.d, and rcS.d. I understand that rc0.d through rc6.d relate to run
levels. I don't know what rcS.d is for, although from its contents, it
looks like it's related to booting.

The SuSE documentation tells me:

boot.local
 Here, enter additional commands to execute at boot before changing into
a runlevel. It can be compared to AUTOEXEC.BAT on DOS systems.

boot.local does not appear to exist, yet. It's not clear to me if it is
supposed to be a file I add to boot.d or a directory into which I put
more files.

All I want to do is to have this command run when the system boots:

#! /bin/sh
#
#
# create a link to /dev/ttyS0 for use by the x10 program
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyX10

Should I create a file named boot.local and put those line into it, or
should I create a directory named boot.local and put another file in
there with those lines.

If the later, is there a naming convention? I understand that the files
for starting things begin with S followed by a number, and that they are
executed in numerical order. Likewise, the files for shutting things
down begin with K and a number. Would I create a similar convention for
files I put into a boot.local directory?

TIA.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens