[PLUG] Boot Hangs After LILO

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 11 18:06:41 UTC 2008

   Up until this morning, my Sony VAIO notebook booted and ran just fine.
Including yesterday afternoon. Now, when I try to boot it, LILO completes,
but nothing happens after that. It sits there with no hard drive activity
and doesn't continue loading the OS.

   According to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1622, if I see LILO on the
screen, followed by loading linux-2.6.21.5 and a bunch of dots walking
across the screen, then all parts of LILO have worked as designed. There are
no BIOS error messages. The installed OS is Slackware-12.0.

   When I reboot with my knoppix-3.6 cdrom inserted, it boots and I can look
at all partitions in /dev/hda5. /dev/hda6, and /dev/hda7 (the user
partitions as originally set up by Emperor Linux).

   What might be the reason for the system to hang and not continue booting
at this point?