[PLUG] Postfix smarthost, relay, null-client - SMTP AUTH?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Mar 14 22:24:59 UTC 2008

If that subject isn't confusing I'll elaborate and see if I can muddy
the waters less.

I am trying to get a system to use another system's mail server to
actually deliver messages (they're reports).  But after a day plus
researching and testing I'm totally stumped.

I suspect I have got something in a knot on the sending system's Postfix
main.cf file and I haven't kept very good records (all in memory) of
what I've been changing and unchanging.

First off after many failures I installed saslfinger and see the remote
system (client) has:

250-AUTH LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN

Main.cf on the sending system (server) has these entries (w/ mungified
values):

relayhost = [smtp.domain.tld]
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = !plain, login, static:rest
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_auth
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_type = cyrus

and smtp_auth has

smtp.domain.tld	username:password

and I've run postmap smtp_auth

Yet when I run saslfinger -s I'm get

saslfinger - postfix Cyrus sasl configuration Fri Mar 14 15:09:27 PDT 2008
version: 1.0.2
mode: server-side SMTP AUTH

-- basics --
Postfix: 2.3.3
System: CentOS release 5 (Final)

-- smtpd is linked to --
         libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0xb7ee5000)

-- active SMTP AUTH and TLS parameters for smtpd --
No active SMTP AUTH and TLS parameters for smtpd in main.cf!
SMTP AUTH can't work!

/var/log/maillog has

Mar 14 14:44:14 rpt postfix/smtp[2968]: 81F6667F42:
to=<raanders at acm.org>, relay=smtp.domain.tld[1.2.3.4]:25, delay=0.11,
delays=0.1/0/0.01/0, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (SASL authentication
failed; cannot authenticate to server smtp.domain.tld[1.2.3.4]: no
mechanism available)

What the heck am I missing?  Every page I've found, web-in-general and
from postfix.org, says this should work (or the !@#$%^ message thread
stops at this point.)

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,