[PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: Advanced Topics Wednesday March 19th 2008

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Mar 18 20:55:37 UTC 2008

PLUG Advanced Topics meeting
March 19th, 2008
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Jax Bar
826 SW 2nd Avenue Portland, Oregon

Speaker:  Randal Schwartz
Topic:    Smalltalk

Sure, Smalltalk is where we got our modern view of windows and mice and "the
desktop" and object-oriented programming and extreme programming two decades
ago, but what has Smalltalk done for us *lately*?

I'll answer this by showing off the Seaside web application framework: an
open-source (but vendor supported) challenge to the classic web design
strategies.  Imagine being able to debug a broken web-hit in the middle of
the
hit, fixing the code, and continuing before the browser knows that something
went wrong.  Imagine being able to re-use control flows and web components
with the ease of OO programming.  Imagine being able to do test-driven
development, even for HTML delivery.  Imagine taking an application from
"three guys in Starbucks on a laptop" to "3000 hits per second on your Amazon
EC2 cloud" with no major changes in design.  No need to imagine... I'll
demonstrate all this and more.

Smalltalk knowledge is not required: I'll start with a brief overview of
Smalltalk using Squeak, the free implementation that's even included in the
OLPC XO.  General knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming basics would be
helpful, though.

Please note that this talk is a work in progress... this presentation is a
rehearsal for the actual delivery in mid-April in Brazil at FISL 2008.  Some
parts are still a bit rough.

Standard meeting rules apply.