[PLUG] common authentication for small server/web site?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Mar 23 22:35:18 UTC 2008

I'm setting up a new server for our office of ~12 people.  In the past
I have always just used /etc/shadow and /etc/samba/smbpasswd for
authentication.  With the new server I plan to run additional
apache-based services.  I'd like to make some of these services, such
as squirrelmail, available on the net via https.  The apache
documentation that I've seen discourages the use of /etc/shadow for
web-based authentication.  If I want to avoid having authentication
info duplicated across multiple files, etc., is ldap my best option?
This is on a Centos 5 machine.  Some of the services I want to run are:

ssh
samba
imap
https
squirrelmail
subversion(probably via webdav)
trac (web-based bug tracking)

I'd prefer to stick with Redhat/Centos delivered packages for
authentication, as I will have less visibility of security issues that
occur with unofficial packages.

thanks,
galen