[PLUG] How to create flash files

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 24 19:44:44 UTC 2008

All I know about flash is how to get it working in browsers on Ubuntu.
I've always generally disliked flash on web sites, but now I find
myself wanting to create a simple little flash image for a web site I
am working on. Basically all I want is a little box (like for text
entry on a form), and I want IPA characters scrolling across it like a
ticker tape. Note that I do not want to become a flash expert, as this
is probably the only flash image I will want to create in my entire
life. I just want the quick and dirty, get 'er done approach.

I have no idea where to begin. Are there open source tools to do this?
Do I have to buy something from Adobe? If so, can I make it run on
Linux somehow? Are there any good tutorials? Any pointers and
suggestions welcome.