[PLUG] Transparency on the web

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 25 01:30:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:11:56 -0700
Robert McIntosh <mcintoshrt at gmail.com> dijo:

> I've got IE 6 and this version doesn't support transparent pngs.  Try
> gifs with transparent backgrounds and all should be well.
> Alternatively, you could try some javascript magic a la
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/.
>
> Most of the IPA characters do not appear correctly.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just converted one of the PNGs to GIF with the Gimp and used it to
replace the PNG on the site. Then I viewed it with IE 6 under Windows
2000 (in VirtualBox) and the replaced image looks fine. So it appears
your advice is sound. Now I'll replace all the others.

Re the text, that is a major headache for us. The page is set to
Verdana and all the characters look fine in Firefox, Opera and
Konqueror. But they don't look right in my IE6 either. I need to figure
out how to reconfigure IE6 (and IE7) so they appear properly. Or if it
turns out that it is absolutely impossible, then I want to know what is
wrong with IE so I can say so on the web site, and then tell them just
to go get Firefox or Opera.