[PLUG] Transparency on the web

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Wed Mar 26 05:30:48 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> That's interesting. In every case the original images uploaded to the
> site were larger and then made smaller in HTML. That should never
> create jaggies. I can't see a single jaggy on any of them. Maybe it's
> because I have a 15.4" laptop screen at 1680 x 1050.

That's most likely it. You have a small monitor at very high resolution
for the size. It doesn't surprise me that you don't see the jaggies, but
for the rest of the world, you might want to look at it on a 17 or 19"
display around 1024xSomething. Like you, I love that kind of resolution,
but the reality is most don't, and you might want to consider who else
is visiting the site.

> But I have viewed
> them all on screens at PSU computer labs and they also appeared nice
> and sharp.

I don't see myself as ultra-picky. But I do notice these things because
I do a few sites and guess I just picked it up along the way.

> I also can't see any of this either.

Well, the resizing is most of what I see. The matte thing may not be an
issue if the sizing is fixed. Tux isn't too bad, but the Apple is
noticeable and the Windows logo is really jaggy to me. When viewing the
actual gif it looks like someone tried to do some cleanup. The blue and
yellow panes have stuff wrong with the edges.

Don't worry about me. If you're happy with it then that's all that
matters. :)

--
- m0gely