[PLUG] Partition failing to unmount at shutdown

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Mar 27 21:22:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:06 -0700, Scott Van Hoosen wrote:
> I've got an EeePC laptop running Ubuntu Gutsy. I installed an 8GB SD
> module, and formated it as ext2. My problem is that when I shut down,
> for some reason it does not unmount, causing me to have to fsck the
> drive each time I boot again. How can I tell Ubuntu to automatically
> unmount it at shutdown?

Do you mean it mounts automatically when the card is inserted? This is
usually a function the Free Desktop features, some partially dependent
on GNOME or KDE implementation. It is probably a bug that it doesn't
unmount when you shut down; have you tweaked the startup at all?
Something like the dbus daemon might not be running, which I think is
used to pass a message to the desktop that the system is shutting down.
Is this a regular Ubuntu install or one of the ones tailored for the
EeePC?

> As a work-around, I created an entry in /etc/fstab with the intent of
> keeping it from automatically mounting. However it still mounts
> automatically upon booting. The following is my /etc/fstab entry:
>
> /dev/sdb1   /home/svanhoosen/data   ext2   rw/user/noauto/exec  0  0
>
> So my second question is, why does mount automatically with this setting?

You need commas to separate the options, not slashes:
rw,user,noauto,exec

Wil