[PLUG] Need laptop recomendations

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:08:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

>  I am looking at a couple of HPs.  I have ruled out Lenovo.  (They don't
>  have the graphics card I need.)  Dell is overpriced for what I want.

Depending on your portability requirements, Lenovo may still have
hardware that will work.  The high-end line of laptop docks offers
PCIe slots (one full-height, one half-height) as well as a host of
other goodies.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=250310U&current-category-id=34851FD360E5473EB9DFEB639312E18E

You can put a full-power video card in there, and use it when docked,
yet still have low-power portability and a Thinkpad :) (I'll try not
to preach about the benefits of the later here... ;)  Of course, if
you need high-end graphics while on the move, this won't work, and you
will likely be pushing $2k to get the machine you want, the dock, the
video card and the monitor.. (I'm assuming the PCIe will only drive
external video... ;)

--Rogan