[PLUG] Need laptop recomendations

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Sat Mar 29 00:01:36 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:
> It looks like I am going to need another laptop.  This one is near dead.
> (It overheats if the cpu runs for more than a minute at full speed.)
>
> What I am looking for is something that has a good warranty, is light, has
> an AMD dual core processor, a fast video card with lots of ram and is not
> over $2000.
>
> I am looking at a couple of HPs.  I have ruled out Lenovo.  (They don't
> have the graphics card I need.)  Dell is overpriced for what I want.
>
> Are there other brands I should look at?  I don't know who has a good
> warranty for accidental breakage these days.
>
> Ideas? Suggestions?

i'm on my second Sager (i.e., Clevo) - my wife got the first one when
her old Gateway began dying. Clevo is a Korean white-box manufacturer,
Sager adds disk, ram, video, etc. You can buy direct from Sager or from
PC Torque or XoticPC - i got one from PC Torque, the other from XotciPC,
both provide great service and more options than buying directly from
Sager. Alienware and other gamer-oriented VARs base some of their
laptops on Sager. Best of all - the OS is optional, you can buy just the
hardware, and they include drivers for Windows & Linux. You can get
quite a high-performance machine with a great display in the $2k
neighborhood.

my current model is the Sager NP5793/Clevo M570RU - a 17" screen beauty
with a fast Core 2 Duo.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5793-custom-laptop-built-clevo-m570ruu-m571ruu-p-2276.html

Some Sager/Clevo models offer an AMD option. It's more of a portable
desktop replacement than a notebook, but it's great for development.
This one comes with NVidia video, which is much more Gnome- and
Compiz-friendly than the ATI hardware in my previous model. Between the
two i've owned, i've sucessfully run OpenSUSE, RedHat, Fedora, and
Ubuntu with no major problems *except for Hibernate/Sleep features*. i
can get Hibernate to work intermittently on my current machine, and
can't figure out why it's intermittent.

Before making these purchases i did an exhaustive comparison of features
& price with IBM/Lenovo, HP, Dell, Toshiba, and others. Sager/Clevo was
the best value for the features i wanted.

Asus sells some nice laptoips with Linux pre-loaded & certified - and
they all have working hibernate/sleep.