[PLUG] Hans Reiser - Creator of ReiserFS

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu May 1 16:27:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 08:29 -0700, MJang wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 20:47 -0700, Luke Eckley wrote:
> > Hans Reiser, creator of the ReiserFS filesystem, has just been found
> > guilty of first degree murder.
> >
> So is this the end of the ReiserFS, or are there any other developers
> who are willing to carry on that part of the codebase, perhaps with a
> name change?
>
> Last time I tried OpenSUSE, the default FS was changed to ext3.

Reiserfs was pretty much abandoned years ago. Apparently, Novell has a
couple developers still doing maintenance because of SLES, but the code
is difficult to understand and no one wants to work on it.

Reiser4 is a different filesystem, the reason reiserfs was abandoned. It
was started in 2002 and ever since then Reiser has been unable to
convince Linus and friends to merge it. Because of the trial, Reiser's
company Namesys went out of business. Some of the Namesys developers
said they plan on continuing to work on reiser4 and perhaps even
creating a new company around it. Since the trial started, they have
made further effort to get reiser4 merged and some think it might make
it into the next kernel version. Only time will tell if reiser4 has a
future or if it doomed to become a dead end like reiserfs.