[PLUG] Desperate - Add CD-ROM to Hardy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 6 05:34:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008 22:14:45 -0700
Tim <tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org> dijo:

> > No, none of the above will do anything. Until Network Manager is
> > reinstalled there is no network connection. It's as if the ethernet
> > cable is not plugged in. Any repairs that require going to the internet
> > will fail. What I need is a solution for installing Network Manager
> > (package name "network-manager") without an ethernet cable connected.
> > That means from a CD.
>
> Hmm.  Well I admit I'm not an Ubuntu expert... I use Debian, but last
> time I messed with Ubuntu, the network manager junk was limited and
> painful to use, so I just disabled all interfaces in it and worked from
> the command line and config files.  I'm pretty sure the command-line
> utilities I just mentioned do not depend on the network-manager package
> and nor do the kernel modules.  These are standard regardless of
> distribution.
>
> If you've actually tried this, then do correct me.

I can assure you that the ethernet port is not working. For example, I
have a Laserjet with a net connection set to 192.168.0.15. If I turn it
on and ping it, I get "Network is unreachable." This is connected just
over my home ethernet network. I printed a document to it from my
laptop this morning, so I know it is working correctly. And I can print
to it right now from the desktop computer.

Whatever software is required for the ethernet on the laptop to
function is not working. I assumed that was network-manager. But I may
be mistaken. Whatever it is, I need to know what it is and how to
install it from a CD. Or if I had the .deb file I could put it on my
thumb drive and install it with gdebi or with apt-get. If it's not
network-manager that I need, then I need to know what app I need to
install.

Sorery for my attitude. It's getting late, I'm tired and frustrated.