[PLUG] Desperate - Add CD-ROM to Hardy

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue May 6 08:45:24 UTC 2008

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> I can assure you that the ethernet port is not working. For
John> example, I have a Laserjet with a net connection set to
John> 192.168.0.15. If I turn it on and ping it, I get "Network is
John> unreachable."

That just means that the interface isn't configured.  Check to see if
the interface is there:

  sudo ifconfig -a

do you see eth0?  If so, make sure you've got an ethernet cable to
your local network, and type:

  sudo dhclient eth0

If you've got a DHCP server on your network (you probably do), then
that should get you fixed up wired-network-wise.

If the ethernet interface is *not* present, then the module might have
been unloaded for some reason.  Try reloading it.

Network manager is just a gui interface.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net