[PLUG] Your favorite $SHELL verbs

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:28:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org> wrote:
> Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>  > # from Randal L. Schwartz
>  > # on Tuesday 06 May 2008:
>  >
>  >> Unless you have a shell that does history sharing, like my zsh does.
>  >
>  > eek.  I think I'll let you keep that feature!
>
>  It's great being able to be able to search back through all of your old
>  commands, particularly when it's something from that window you just
>  closed..

This is possible in bash (assuming I understand correctly).  Below is
the relevant portion of my .bashrc -- all my history-related config is
here, it's not all needed for the shared history command "stuff":

# make a multi-line cmd into one line in history
shopt -s cmdhist

# don't put duplicate lines in the history. See bash(1) for more options
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
# ... and ignore same sucessive entries.
export HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

# set up the prompt:
promptCommand() {
    # save the current history to disk on each command (this enables
on-the-fly history sharing between terminals)
    history -a

    ## Snipped a bunch of stuff to set a PS1 based on system status.
}
export PROMPT_COMMAND=promptCommand

--Rogan