[PLUG] What's up with WHOIS and skimpy registration information?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 12 14:58:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> When trying to backtrace spammers, the WHOIS information is typically
> skimpy to nonexistent; I get a page of boilerplate, but none of the
> contact information that was available a year or two ago.

   I see this on some queries, but certainly not on all. Most of the ones
that have only the name are small operators, so I block their IP addresses.
The sites that have full information -- including an abuse username -- get
my boilerplate spam report. (The ISPs in Brittain frequently follow up with
a message that they've taken the appropriate actions.)

   I've wondered why not all queries return the full set of information, but
didn't bother looking into it.