[PLUG] Convert .flv to something

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri May 16 18:44:42 UTC 2008

I need to use an .flv video clip in a class presentation. It would be
best to play it in an Impress slide show, but if I have to launch a
separate application to play it, that is doable. The problem is that
the classroom has only a Windows XP computer on it with standard PSU
program load (which includes OOo). I did place the .flv file on a slide
in OOo 2.4 Linux and it plays fine on my Ubuntu laptop. It won't play
in OOo 2.2 Windows in the classroom.

I figured out how to use ffmpg to convert the .flv to .mpg, but the
sound did not make it. The video resolution was also crappy. I need the
highest resolution possible, as it will be displayed on the classroom
screen. The resolution of the original is not too great, so if there is
any way to fake up an enhancement, that would be coolness.

What I need to know most is what format would be best for playing the
video when placed in an OOo Impress file running on Windows. I know
nothing whatsoever about movie formats, so any suggestions are welcome.