[PLUG] cdrecord from cronjob

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Sat May 17 04:47:34 UTC 2008

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>I've run into an interesting situation and am looking for some insight.
>
>The scripts that copies some selected directories, creates and iso
>image, blanks the CD-RW, then burns the image to the CD works fine from
>the command line but when called aa a cronjob cdrecord seems to get it
>wrong.  Some times the blanking doesn't work and sometimes it does and
>then the iso burn works but when trying to mount the drive it tosses all
>kinds of fits about not finding a valid file system.
>
>Since it works from the command line I'm assuming I've got all the
>pieces write but it pukes from cron.
>
>Clue-stick anyone?
>

>TIA,
>Rod

Roderick A. Anderson
When that happens to me, I add an "su" to the crontab line ... something
like this ...
    0 5 * * * su - username -c command
... another thing that I find helps in some cases is to give the full
path name of the built-ins
    /bin/echo instead of echo, for example
Mostly that has been on SGI IRIX, but occasionally on Linux
Hope that helps
Regards
Fred James