[PLUG] manpage mangling

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun May 18 19:10:31 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

Russell> I noticed a while back that manpages on one of my (debian)
Russell> desktop boxes have mangled rendering due to uninterpretted
Russell> terminal control codes in an xterm, e.g. (randomly) from the
Russell> jhead manpage: [...]

Russell> The first thing I notice is that the control codes are
Russell> appearing at single quotes.

Russell> Any clues?

First clue is:

  $ man -l /usr/share/man/man1/jhead.1.gz > /tmp/jhead.man

gives me the same mangling I reported.

  $ man -l -Tps /usr/share/man/man1/jhead.1.gz > /tmp/jhead.ps

renders an unmangled postscript file.  However, the following gives me
an interesting, but thus-far-not-understood error:

  $ man -l -Tdvi /usr/share/man/man1/jhead.1.gz > /tmp/jhead.dvi
  /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/font/devdvi/M:6: error: bad width for `%G��%@'
  troff: warning: can't find font `M'
  /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/font/devdvi/G:6: error: bad width for `%G��%@'
  troff: warning: can't find font `G'

So, it looks like there is a font problem?

seniorr at aracnet.com