[PLUG] email joe-job.

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue May 20 06:09:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 19:04 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Alan> It is not a joejob..  It is spam with your address as the return address.
>
> Within the spam-fighting community, those are not distinct.

Clarity is not a feature of large parts of the spam fighting community I
am sad to say.

I have been on the wrong end of too damn many anti-spam twits who got a
piece of spam on a mailing list (like say p5p) and then complained to
the isp of the person running the mailing list and his isp and so on.
(Without checking if it actually came from there or not.)

Too many people say "something must be done! This is something,
therefore we must do it!" without figuring out what effect it will have
if they do.

There is a big difference between a joe job and backscatter.  I have
seen enough of each to be able to tell the difference.