[PLUG] wifi WEP security problems

agent dale cooper agentdcooper at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:36:37 UTC 2008

> I am at a lost why WEP 128-bit SSID should give me that much trouble.  Any
> help much appreciated...

IMHO, I suggest ya just go with a nice `n easy X-windows based WEP/WPA
all-in-one solution like one of the following;

wifi-radar @ http://wifi-radar.systemimager.org/
   -OR-
kwifimanager @ http://kwifimanager.sourceforge.net/

Sure, a bash script is easy to produce, and highly manageable :: this is a
sample of what I use for connecting my client to a WEP-encrypt'd access
point via a bash script when I'm not using kwifimanager (I am using a DLink
wireless PCI card, which slackware shows as having a "Atheros
Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg" chipset);

</usr/sbin/WEP2w.sh>
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/ifconfig ath0 down
/usr/local/bin/wlanconfig ath0 destroy
/usr/local/bin/wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
/sbin/ifconfig ath0 up
/sbin/iwconfig ath0 essid 2W10001 mode managed rate auto ap
00:18:3f:xx:xx:xx
/sbin/iwconfig ath0 key 42:28:xx:xx:xx
sleep 3
killall -15 dhcpcd 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
/sbin/dhcpcd -t 10 -d ath0

I like all the purty colors though, of kwifimanager   =)   Choose to do
whatever you like, that's the beauty about linux, eh? Good luck! ((The end
of that bash script pulls a DHCP IP address, just FYI.))

-peace-
agentdcooper at gmail.com