[PLUG] Asterisk Server for Art Project...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:13:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Benjamin Foote <plug at bnf.net> wrote:

> Essentially I'd like to have an old school Ma Bell black rotary phone (which
> I have) ringing periodically as part of the window display.   No one would
> answer the phone so it's all about the ringing.  I thought about just
> running an MP3 player nearby but it'd be much nicer in my opinion to
> actually get the phone to ring.

You could just wire it to a real line and post the phone number in as
many public places as possible ;) (say, on the craigslist free
section, with something tantalizing ;).

You wouldn't even have to tweak any software/hardware to get
"realistic" behavior.  I imagine you'd want to arrange to have a
special, disposable, phone # for the event though (say, a pre-paid
cell phone with call forwarding to the classic rotary phone?)

(I didn't intend this to be serious, but it might actually work :)

--Rogan