[PLUG] A not-quite-usable $20 SAN disk enclosure at Frys

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:16:07 UTC 2008

I have this exact enclosure Keith. If you upgrade the firmware to gain
Vista support you won't be able to use the open source driver anymore
as it was firmware dependent.

FWIW the transfer rate is not very good for large files. Smaller files
it doesn't have so much trouble with.

Drew

On 11/3/08, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> My second impulse buy today at Frys was a Netgear/Zetera SC101
> Network Storage enclosure, on sale for $20.  Not so successful
> this time, but if somebody brings a Win2K or WinVista laptop
> (dual boot?) to the clinic in December, we might be able to
> configure it for Linux use.
>
> It is a nice little toaster-sized box. It holds two IDE 3.5 inch
> drives.  With the right software on one or two of our laptops,
> we could use it to serve distros at the Clinic.
>
> Sadly, it will only configure and partition with Windoze software
> (why not a web interface?  twits!) I can load the Netgear
> configuration software onto the Win2K VMware image on my laptop,
> but the software will only find storage on the same LAN segment.
> My VMware image is configured for host-only bridged networking,
> on a separate virtual LAN segment from the physical LAN segment
> that the SC101 is on.  Hence, the Netgear install software can't
> find the SC101 to configure it.
>
> I suppose I could build a second VMware image to use the other kind
> of networking (where it makes a virtual connection to the outside
> LAN), but instead I'll just wait for the December Clinic ( I will
> be out of town during the November 16 Clinic ) and perhaps someone
> will bring a dual-boot machine and we can set up the SC101 with that.
>
> If we can get the SC101 configured, we can use this software:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sc101-nbd/
>
> ... which is a user-space driver that will connect to the SC101 .
> With two of the $100 750GB Seagate drives installed and formatted,
> any laptop with the driver will be able to pull files off the SC101
> over the ethernet.  Thus, we will not be dependent on one particular
> laptop to act as a repository mirror.
>
> So that may have been a poor use of $20, but hey, all the other NAS
> and SAN enclosures were $200 and probably would work no better.  If
> someone else wants to borrow this box and set it up before December,
> let me know and I will bring it to one of the meetings this month.
>
> Or perhaps I should find that unused Win2K hard drive that shipped
> with this laptop and swap it in and configure the drive that way.
> Naahh, that would leave me (and my laptop) feeling *unclean.*  Icky.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993
> KLIC --- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"
> Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Scan ICs

Sent from my mobile device