[PLUG] I broke sudo

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 5 17:02:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> The part I did wrong was that I took ownership of the whole /usr
> folder instead of just the /usr/share/openclipart folder. That broke
> sudo. Fortunately I am not the first Ubuntuoid to do this, and the
> forum thread gives instructions for how to fix it. However, the
> instructions are not working:

At this point, you're going to have to

a) boot from a rescue disk

b) mount the partition on your hard disk that contains /usr

c) chown -R root:root /mnt/tmp/usr (or whatever your path is)

d) chmod 4755 /mnt/tmp/usr/bin/sudo. (I think Ubuntu uses 4755 on
    sudo. CentOS/RHEL use 4111. Either should work.)

e) boot back into your system and test sudo.

After that, you're going to have to find a healthy Ubuntu system and
figure out if the massive chown you did in step (c) needs to be
tweaked in various subdirectories of /usr.