[PLUG] I broke sudo

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Nov 5 17:11:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:44 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Hardy x86_64, more or less up to date.

snip
> So I googled on "must be setuid root" and found a thread in the Ubuntu
> forums:

snip

> The computer continues to run just fine, but I have no access to sudo.
> Before I mess things up even more I thought I'd ask here for help from
> someone who understands permissions and ownership better than me.

To get direct administrative access on Hardy - boot into recovery mode
(Press Esc within 5 seconds of the boot process starting to get to the
GRUB Menu. Then select (probably ) the second option in the GRUB menu -
it should be labeled as "Recovery Mode".

When you get to a blue screen with three or four options, select
something like (I'm trying to remember) "Drop to Root Shell Prompt".

Then, you'll have direct access as the root administrative user - and
should then be able to execute the commands you've described from the
noted thread.

Thanks,
Mike