[PLUG] configuring screen resolution in SLED 10

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Nov 6 16:41:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, David Kaplan wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:10:34 -0800
> From: David Kaplan <davek52 at gmail.com>
> To: PLUG <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: [PLUG] configuring screen resolution in SLED 10
>
> Anyone here use SLED 10? I run a Dell Optiplex 160L with a Intel i845 video
> and I'm having trouble getting the resolution to set at 1440x900 for a
> Samsung Syncmaster 953BW monitor. I got it to 1024x768 but it's still not
> sharp. Every time I tried to set it to 1440x900 the whole screen would flip
> out or go black.
>
> Any clues?

I need to amend my earlier post slightly.  The available modes are a
function of your video card DRIVER.  Sometimes you can choose among a
small set of drivers, which might give different results.  The vesa
driver, for instance, can be used with virtually any video card, but
it is the worst choice - a lowest common denominator.  Is the usual
intel driver the i810?  That's probably as good as it gets for your
card.

Carlos