[PLUG] Intrepid hoses X

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 05:40:54 UTC 2008

My laptop is my main computer and I refuse to upgrade to Intrepid for a
while yet. But I did decide to upgrade my desktop to Intrepid just to
see what would happen.

The desktop uses an nVidia GeForce 6150 on the motherboard connected to
a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW monitor. It worked fine with the
nvidia-glx-new driver under Hardy at 1680 x 1050. After the upgrade X
would not start. By editing the xorg.conf file and replacing "nvidia"
with "nv" I got X to start, but it is VESA 1024 x 768. I've tried
several things to no avail. The Ubuntu forums are replete with video
problems after the upgrade to Intrepid. Unfortunately, none of the
suggested fixes have worked, although there are so many posts that I
have not read them all yet.

Somewhere I read that Intrepid uses some new deal with X, but I cannot
find where I read it to report exactly what changes were made. I can
say with certainty that the changes were not necessarily a good idea.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Meantime, warnings to
those considering the upgrade to Intrepid. Double check your video
issues before doing it.

Maybe I'll bring the desktop to the Clinic on Sunday and people can
poke at it as an exercise in how not to do an upgrade. :)