[PLUG] Intrepid hoses X

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 06:55:55 UTC 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 9:40 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> My laptop is my main computer and I refuse to upgrade to Intrepid
> for a
> while yet. But I did decide to upgrade my desktop to Intrepid just to
> see what would happen.
>
> The desktop uses an nVidia GeForce 6150....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo......

Okay, I guess I'm too late.

There are new drivers, driver settings, kernel modules, xorg configs,
(etc.) to consider with Intrepid. There are release notes, README's,
open and closed drivers to weigh, and a large number of forum posts,
listserv posts, and blogs to read.

Long story short: If you have a (one, single) fairly new-ish (at
least 6 months old, though) nVidia card, *and* one monitor, *and*
that monitor is running in 1024x768 in landscape mode, *and* you
don't want to use your card's effects/GPU/RAM, you're just about golden.

If, OTOH, you have multiple video cards, or custom screen resolutions
or orientations, or need maximum stability and performance, there's
some homework to be done ahead of time.

From: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

"nVidia "legacy" video support

The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by
the nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, are
not compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the
nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and
GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to
the free nv driver instead. This driver does not support 3D
acceleration.

Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177
driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-
glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers
173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g.
Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs
will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade. "

....Yeah, it's a mess.

-Bop