[PLUG] Pause booting?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 03:51:16 UTC 2008

I'm still trying to fix my broken Hardy > Intrepid update on my desktop. At the moment I can get it to boot in graphics mode at 800 x 600, but the mouse and keyboard are dead. Or I can boot into Recovery mode which gives me a screen from which I can boot to a root command line, and the keyboard at least is then working. However, I just discovered that the network is also dead. That is, my router is 192.168.0.1 and if I ping it I just get "network is not available." Ifconfig shows only lo. Lsmod does not display anything that sounds like a driver for the ethernet, which is:

0:.14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)

Reinstalling from scratch is not a good option. It would take a couple of days to reinstall all the software that is installed on the computer. Therefore I'd rather fix the broken Intrepid. Besides, fixing stuff is always a learning experience.

One thing that would be a big help would be to be able to view what is happening when it boots into Recovery mode. However, the screen flashes by so fast that it is impossible to read the boot messages. Does anyone know if there is a magic key combination that will pause the boot process so I can read the screen?