[PLUG] Borked grub!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 01:16:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:22:03 -0700
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> dijo:

> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 15:48 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I have a passing familiarity with grub, but this has me flummoxed. The
> > ghost of 2.6.24-19 refuses to leave. I'm about to call in a priest. Any
> > suggestions?
>
> I'm guessing that you accidentally created a new /boot and installed the
> new grub to to your new /boot partition instead of the MBR.
>
> If that is the case, the following should fix your system:
>
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Thanks for the idea. But I still haven't got it fixed.

First, *I* didn't create a new boot, but the Hardy > Intrepid upgrade may have. Is there a way to find out where the MBR is?

Second, the boot partition is a RAID partition (dev/md1). From man grub-install it says

 INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

So I did "sudo grub-install /dev/md1." It appeared to work, but when I rebooted I still got only the 2.6.24-19 option.

Here is what the menu.lst file says in the automagic section:

title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root		(hd0,0)
kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/md1 ro quiet splash
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

And then there is a recovery mode for the same kernel, followed by memtest86+, and that's all.

When I look at the boot menu during the boot process (hitting esc when the grub menu comes up) I see that the boot option is also set to (hd0,0) and root is dev/md1.

Still confused.