[PLUG] Borked grub!

ckonstansi at biology.uoregon.edu ckonstansi at biology.uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 17 07:43:42 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan writes:
 > On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:01:57 -0800
 > John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
 > Knoppix mounts the partitions read-only and, even as root, I couldn't
 > seem to change that, so I shuffled through various other rescue CDs
 > until I found one that would mount both devices and let me read/write
 > to them. I used the scary command line to delete all the files in
 > sda1's /boot folder, then copied them over from sdb1's boot folder. On
 > rebooting (with fingers tightly crossed) Ubuntu Intrepid came up and
 > all is well again.

Knoppix will mount the partitions any way you tell them to, just like
any linux system.  If you use the fstab file, you'll get what is in
there.  If you bypass the fstab file, you'll get whatever you specify
in your mount command.

This command uses the fstab file:

    mount /dev/hda1

This one does not use fstab:

    mount /dev/hda1 /boot

The difference is that the first one does not specify both device and
mount point.  Therefore mount has to consult fstab to find a match.
If one is found, the options in the fstab line are used.  The second
one specifies both the device and mount point, therefore fstab is not
consulted, and you get default options (unless you specify some on the
command line).

This very same thing once burned me when I tried to mount /boot and
run grub-install while booted from knoppix.  When I mounted using
fstab, I had the same problems you just had.

Next time you are booted into Knoppix, have a peek at the fstab file.
I'll bet you'll see exactly why you were getting hosed.
--
Carlos