[PLUG] Pause booting?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:54:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:34 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> updated correctly by the Intrepid dist-upgrade process. There are two
> disks in the array and one had been updated but the other still had
> the Hardy boot stuff. You can't do grub-install to a RAID array; the
> only option is to do it to the MBR on the individual disks. The one
> that I had grub-install'ed was the one with the Hardy files. so Grub
> couldn't find the 2.6.27-7 kernel. So I fixed matters by using rescue
> CDs to mount both disks individually and then deleted all the /boot
> files from the one that had the Hardy files on it, followed by copying
> the files from the good disk so they would match.
>
> It was an interesting trip, though, and I learned a lot. Per aspera ad
> astra.

I hope one of the things learned is that software-raid is a royal pain
in the ass with relatively little benefit.  If you *need* raid, do it
in hardware so the OS doesn't get this sort of option to muck things
up.

Hard disks just don't fail that dramatically, that often.  (If you
have corruption, that corruption will just be mirrored to the other
drive unless you happen to notice *and* prevent the mirroring in
time.)

Do you know what to do to make use of your raid? (How will you know
when you need to do something? What are you *gaining* by having that
raid?)

--Rogan