[PLUG] Downturns - more or less open source coders?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Nov 25 03:14:20 UTC 2008

We are entering a time of low employment for technical folk.  I
am a self-employed chip-slinger, so I am spending a lot of time
preparing sales pitches and working on new products to find more
business.  But I wonder what the software people are doing.

So, two questions for those of you that sometime participate in
open source software projects:

If you lost your job, and had time on your hands, would you be
more or less likely to contribute to open source projects?  Do you
see open source as a good advertising method and resume filler, or
do you see it as a distraction from job searches, desperate min-wage
fill-in work, daytime TV, and getting drunk in your trailer?

If you wanted to do more open source in your newly expanded spare
time, what would help you do so?

Keith