[PLUG] Downturns - more or less open source coders?

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:30:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> If you lost your job, and had time on your hands, would you be
> more or less likely to contribute to open source projects?

More likely.  If only because I would have time to do it.

> Do you
> see open source as a good advertising method and resume filler, or
> do you see it as a distraction from job searches, desperate min-wage
> fill-in work, daytime TV, and getting drunk in your trailer?

All of the above.  Well, maybe not getting drunk in my trailer.
Actually, during the last downturn when I had time on my hands, I did get
involved in an open source project, but more from a desire to learn a hot
new technology than to flesh out my resume.  But that work, or rather that
learning, did lead to a new contract and about a year's worth of work for me.

Ali