[PLUG] eclipse

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Nov 28 03:00:45 UTC 2008

I'm taking Karla Fant's CS202 this term, no I am not a massachist ;-)

I'm having difficulty setting up eclipse.  I'm on a CentOS 5.2 box.
I've noticed that it is available through yum, but when I try
yum install eclipse I get a request to install a TON of stuff.
I'm not developing java server pages, just plain java programs.
I don't want gcc java, but the yum route seems to grab that.

Okay, I had the brilliant idea of heading over to eclipse.org.
Oops, which eclipse do I download?  I chose classic which comes
up as ganymede.  I assume that installation is simply a matter
of untarring the download.  Two problems are noticeable already,
I don't have an eclipse icon ( okay this is minor ).  I don't have
the welcome page with tutorials, etcetera
( this is a bit more bothersome ).

Well, once I get this straightened out there's the problem of coming
up with a realistic interpretation of "write a program that converts
C++ code to java code..."  Never mind that I'm supposed to be a
novice Java programmer and that I haven't touched Java in I don't
know how long.

Pass or fail, I'll be glad when this term is over.

      Michael C. Robinson