[PLUG] eclipse

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:40:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM, someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Okay, I had the brilliant idea of heading over to eclipse.org.
> Oops, which eclipse do I download?  I chose classic which comes
> up as ganymede.  I assume that installation is simply a matter
> of untarring the download.

Ganymede is, afaik, just a name for the 3.4 release of Eclipse -- the
different downloads are just different collections of various plugins
(OSGi bundles).  The Classic version is a good choice for what you're
doing.  The install is just a matter of untarring -- I put it in
~/myapps/eclipse  (so ~/myapps/eclipse/eclipse starts the app.)  You
will want your user to have write access to the eclipse directory, so
don't put it in a system-wide location unless you really want to dig
into the multi-user configurations.

> Two problems are noticeable already,
> I don't have an eclipse icon ( okay this is minor ).  I don't have

Since CentOS doesn't know about it, you'll have to set up any menu
entries / etc. on your own.

> the welcome page with tutorials, etcetera
> ( this is a bit more bothersome ).

I'm not sure what you mean here -- you may want to ensure that you
have a clean workspace (usually ~/workspace) and also make sure that
you aren't using some version of eclipse that may have been installed
by CentOS.  (`which eclipse` works well).

> Well, once I get this straightened out there's the problem of coming
> up with a realistic interpretation of "write a program that converts
> C++ code to java code..."

Heh, good luck with that... I seriously hope there are some additional
restrictions.  C++ syntax are semantics are absurdly complex (it's not
even context free!).

--Rogan