[PLUG] openSUSE 11.1 release party??

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 16:29:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 02:39:46 -0500
znmeb at cesmail.net dijo:

> Quoting znmeb at cesmail.net:
>
> > I didn't try the torrents at all -- when Beta 5 came out, the torrents
> > weren't giving me the kind of bandwidth I could get from the OSU OSL
> > mirror down in Corvallis. But I'll probably fire one up now just to be
> > a seeder. :)
>
> Well ... "bittorrent" bad -- Vuze good. :) I started the downloads
> using "Bittorrent" and it was getting puny transfer rates and
> projecting days to completion. So I installed Vuze (formerly azureus).
> Took off like a scalded duck -- I'm getting 10 mbits/second download
> now.

I was having painfully slow downloads with Ktorrent the other day, but
it was a new version for KDE 4.1 that came with the upgrade to
Intrepid. When I launched it all it knew was the list of torrents that
it had downloaded/seeded previously - all other settings were at the
default. Eventually I discovered that it was set to allow only ten
connections per torrent. I raised that to 500, and a short while later
I went from two or three seeders to over a hundred. Download was still
kind of slow, but acceptable - it took only a day to finish the Fedora
DVDs. Unfortunately, that many connections killed my bandwidth for
other things. In the future I will use a Ktorrent plugin that allows
scheduling. I can set it to run only at night. I also noticed a pause
button on the new Ktorrent, so maybe I'll just use that. After the
downloads completed and my share ratio was over 2.00 ('cause I like to
do the right thing) I closed down Ktorrent. The instant I stopped all
the torrent activity my bandwidth returned to normal.

Vuze sounds interesting. A long time ago I tried Azureus but I couldn't
get it to run without crashing every few minutes. Eventually I gave up
on it. I'm happy with Ktorrent, but perhaps I can give Vuze a try. On
the other hand, I question that Bittorrent gives lousy results and Vuze
gives great results on the same torrent. If the same people are seeding
at the same rate and your net connection is the same, it has to be the
settings in the client, not the client itself, right?