[PLUG] remote support tool for firewalled clients

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 20:31:55 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking for something which would be similar to an ssh server, but
would like it to be dead-simple for the user to setup on windows or
linux without root privileges behind a firewall.  I'm guessing that it
could simply send commands and outputs over an SSL encrypted socket.

  Me:   download the link from this e-mail and double-click it
  Mom:  ok, it says "password" and "server"
  Me:   q94j8x2 and remote.example.com
  Mom:  ok.
  Me:   yay, I'm in.

Or something like that.  That is, the momputer is firewalled, and one is
still Win98 while the other is a linux box (which was configured to ssh
out, but that's a long story.)

I've found the UltraVNC SC utility, which looks like it might be worth
trying.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Issues of control, repair, improvement, cost, or just plain
understandability all come down strongly in favor of open source