[PLUG] I was fingerprinted...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 06:23:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM, robinson-west user
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> This computer I'm writing to you from now was finger printed.  The
> question is, how?  On the ReactOS forum, the ReactOS 0.3.7 thread,
> someone posted: my ip address, my operating system, and the fact
> that I'm using firefox.  Whoever did this, they certainly have
> gotten my attention.

This information is all broadcast by your browser: when I visit that
site, it lists my ip, browser config, etc...

It's no different than looking into a mirror -- the wall didn't
somehow steal a live video feed of your face :)

The web site should have a privacy policy somewhere that details what
(if anything) they do with that information.  Most places discard it
excepting for the standard log files.  Since this instance is in a
signature on a post, it's probably not even apparent to the person who
posted.

--Rogan