[PLUG] Samba between Ubuntu and Win98

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 17:16:14 UTC 2008

Moving on to the next issue...

I have a couple of Win98 laptops that used to be able to see the Samba
shares on my SuSE installation. I've discovered that Ubuntu has a
slightly different way of sharing. It looks more like sharing on XP than
the old way. And, from XP, I can see and access the directories I have
"shared" on my Ubuntu machine. The problem I'm having is getting to
those directories from my Win98 machines. Win98 sees the Ubuntu machine,
but when I try to look at the machine, I'm presented with a login
dialog. On the Ubuntu machine, the only password I've set is for my
regular user, and that password does not work in the dialog I see from
Win98. Also, that dialog does not offer the option of specifying a user.

I've done some Googling and found a number of things that don't seem to
relate. However, there was one that talked about creating a password
using smbpasswd. What user is samba using when I try to connect from
Win98? On my SuSE installation samba understood that rsteff was talking
to rsteff (I have the same user name on all three machines).

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens